Transparent VP8 Videos, Audio Codecs for MSE and Chrome’s 5th Birthday
Published on in Blink, Google Chrome, Last Week, tech. Version: Chrome 31
Last week yielded 1,582 commits in the Blink, Chromium, Skia and v8 repositories, made by 427 unique authors. Incidentally, Chrome turned five years old last
Thursday Monday — thanks Peter!
Various changes were made in Chrome’s media stack last week. When using the Media Source Extensions API, support for Opus and MP3 as audio codecs has been implemented. Also new is support for VP8 alpha-playback, which means that videos can now have transparency.
Arguments must now be passed to the CSSHostRule.addRule() and deleteRule() methods. The mousemove event has been made cancellable. Finally, the unprefixed onanimation* attributes have been implemented on HTML Elements, but won’t be exposed to the web until unprefixing has been completed.
Other changes which occurred last week:
- DevTools’ go-to-location feature using <ctrl>+<p> now supports line numbers by using a colon: “:80”.
- Adding a webapp to your homescreen on Android will be available in about://flags.
- A People Search feature seems to be coming to Chrome, based on Google+ APIs.
- Spatial Navigation will be enabled for the Chrome-based Android WebView.
- The chrome.usb.getDevices() and openDevice() Extension APIs have been implemented.
That’d be all for this week!